« | Home | »

Hungry For Change

Topics: Politics | 6 CommentsBy admin | February 25, 2009

Hunger is a reality for 1 in 8 Americans – Support FeedingAmerica.org

I was impressed by the “We Will Rebuild” message of President Obama’s speech last night. Although I’m hesitant to start plugging into the idea that we’re entering a catastrophic depression, it’s been on my mind that things are already pretty bad in certain spots around the country, and I’ve been wondering if there was something in particular I might do to help out. Ironically, while we have problems here at home, I’m currently busy working on a project with a Kenya/US non-profit called Amara Conservation. Kenya’s pretty proud of the Obama connection, but has some problems of their own! As fate would have it though, I received an e-mail today from Dan Michel of Feeding America, asking that we help spread the word that an astounding 1 in 8 Americans don’t have enough to eat. In the clip at left, President Obama talks about places like Elkhart, Indiana, where the 15% unemployment rate is contributing to a situation in which the food banks are running out of food. Yes, right here in the states. Visit feedingamerica.org to learn more, or feedingamericacentral.org to download media to help you spread the word. If you have any worthwhile causes to promote, drop us a line, we’ll be glad to do what we can.

Here’s the media resource link: www.feedingamericacentral.org

Read Comments

1. Posted by SheBe on 02.25.09 9:21 am

Thanks for posting this Ian
    Just had a long conversation last night about this.

2. Posted by Paul Hickman on 03.01.09 9:53 pm

Take 5% of the pentagon’s budget and we can feed all Americans.

3. Posted by admin on 03.01.09 10:18 pm

But would we still be able to spy on them?

4. Posted by TeacherPatti on 03.04.09 11:10 pm

Hey–the Detroit Public Schools censors got you. I used to be able to log onto your site at school, but now the big red “Ghostbusters” slash comes up and it tells me your site and its content are blocked. Fuckers.

5. Posted by admin on 03.04.09 11:26 pm

I generally take that as a compliment, but in this case, I think it’s unfair to deprive schoolchildren the opportunity to see one of their teachers refer to the school system as “Fuckers” :) BUT SERIOUSLY….can you find out what filtering software they use? I like to keep my sites whitelisted as much as possible if there’s no truly questionable material, and I think the dirtiest stuff on DP is probably something like this:

6. Posted by TeacherPatti on 03.04.09 11:35 pm

I’ll have to try it again…I don’t know what kind of blocking software they use. We used to be able to call Dell for any questions we had, but then the Board stopped paying Dell’s bills and we can’t get any tech support or new computers. Our help desk has like a five month backlog….